at 6:00pm I took Contac cold and flu which contains 500 mg of acetaminophen in each caplet?
I took two caplets so that equals 1000mg. Directions say adults take 2 caplets every 4-6 hours. do not exceed 8 caplets in 24 hours. It is now only 3 hours later 9:00pm. I was wondering if it is safe for me to take at least 1 caplet of tylenol pm? I have had this terrible cold, been seen by my doctor, don't have strep or the flu. Some awful bug is going around. Anyways I haven't had any luck on getting rest and my mom has been watching my 17 month old son thank god, for 4 days now and I must get him back tomorrow, even if I am not all the way better. I hope not to get him sick. Anyhow I really need a good nights sleep but I want to be careful with the amount of acetaminophen I am taking. I have heard some bad things about ODing on it. in total it would be 1500 mg acetaminophen in 3 hrs. Ps the other ingredients in the Contac is 5mg of Phenylephrine. and the Tylenol pm had 25mg of Diphenhydramine. Am I worrying to much in to this or should go ahead & take one caplet of the pm to sleep??

Posted by Allen R
You said, "I really need a good nights sleep but I want to be careful with the amount of acetaminophen I am taking."

This is true as it is hard on the liver. However, one-time extra doses now and then (assuming you are otherwise in good health) will not be a problem. The body takes a lot to overdo something. Just don't make a habit of it. Maybe during the day when you are awake cut back and try some other (natural) remedy. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Posted by bullwinkle
You can always buy the sleep aids that do not include pain relievers (unisom etc.) this way you do not have to worry about getting too much acetaminophen.

Posted by Hey!
Don't take the tylenol pm all it has in it is the acetaminophen ( tylenol ) and the diphenhydramine ( Benadryl) I would just take some benadryl ... thats the only xtra ingredient that you need to have some rest .. all over the counter sleep aid are diphenhydramine 25 mg or 50 mg so just do that ... the phenylephrine is just a nasal decongestant ... you should be fine... one last thing ... benadryl has been known to give people head aches when they wake up... thats just a side effect but you should be fine because of the tylenol that is already in you


Add your own answer in the comments! Cold and Flu Basics - Cold and Flu Center - Gocoldflu.info
How to recognize the symptoms of cold and flu, which treatments work best, and advice on staying healthy during cold and flu season

Orignal From: at 6:00pm I took Contac cold and flu which contains 500 mg of acetaminophen in each caplet?

0 comments