Can a person get the swine flu shot without having gotten the seasonal flu shot?
I had heard earlier in the season that a person needed to first have their seasonal flu shot before they would allow the swine flu shot. Is this still valid? I can't find the seasonal flu shot anywhere, but my dd has an appointment Wednesday for the swine flu shot. I'd hate to get there only to hear that she can't get it.

Posted by Kyle
Yes, they are different vaccines for different viruses. If you only get one, you will not be protected from the other. You can even get them both on the same doctor's visit.

Posted by G
The 2 are absolutely independant, and it doesn't matter which one you get first.
Most people got the seasonal first simply because it was available first.
It's good for you if your doctor gives you the swine flu shot, ask him to give you the seasonal as well, he can do it. Otherwise you can walk in any pharmacy.

Posted by Elli
That's not correct. They're different diseases that have "nothing in common".

I just had mine today, seasonal and swine at the same time. One in each arm and that was absolutely no problem! : )

Except that both arms are now HORRIBLY stiff just as if I've had an insane workout.... The vaccine in itself is no problem, you can hardly feel it, but strangely the seasonal vaccine is causing me more trouble than the other, my left arm is so much stiffer.

Good luck and I do recommend it for the safety, even though your arm will be really stiff. Personally I'm not in any "risk group" prioritising me for the vaccine, but I'm at higher susceptibility because I work in a grocery store. In any case, I think the more people have the vaccine, the better!

Posted by Bill
Sure can, if its available


Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments! Cold and Flu Basics - Cold and Flu Center - Gocoldflu.info
How to recognize the symptoms of cold and flu, which treatments work best, and advice on staying healthy during cold and flu season

Orignal From: Can a person get the swine flu shot without having gotten the seasonal flu shot?

0 comments