Could the swine flu have symptoms of a common cold... without a fever?
Both of my girls have had a cold now for over a week. (One is four years old and the other is just two months.) Neither one of them has had a fever (so far). They just seem to have a stuffy/runny nose, sneezing and cough. No other symptoms. They are both still eating well and seem to be happy as usual.

I may be paranoid, but with the swine flu spreading like crazy... I don't know what to think. I haven't taken them to the doctor (yet) because of the fact that they haven't had a fever and are still playing and eating like normal. I have learned not to take them in for just a cold... they can't ever do anything for them anyway.

Posted by Camila
I totally understand your concern. I live in Chicago, IL, where it hasn't have any cases yet, but I am very concerned and think that it seems like people would rather take care of the consequences than prevent it.
I say that because I am also worried because I have been having symptoms like a sore throat, headache and body aches, but because I have a runny nose and I don't feel beat down I'm just hoping that it is just a cold(probably is.) Now, I don't want to sound panicked or anything but I worry because I work with children and I feel very responsible for their health. So I called Chicago Health Department (they have a swine flu hotline) and was told that if I'm concerned that I should visit my primary doctor. I told them that I don't have one because my insurance sucks and I was wondering if the hospitals don't have a testing kit(according to news, the government would be sending supplies) and they were very rude to me and said that it is VERY EXPENSIVE TO TEST AND THEY ARE ONLY DOING IT IF YOU ARE VERY SICK.
So basically, that means, we are not going to try to prevent it from possibly spreading, we are just going to wait until the worst happens!!!!

Posted by LadyGreenEyes
They more than likely have a cold. One is running around where we live, and the whole family got it, with no one sick for more than a few days. Still, if you are really concerned, you could take them in, but the only way to know would be for a sample to be taken by the doc and sent for testing. Final decision there is yours.

Posted by Jennifer V
Anytime you are concerned about your children's health, you should call your doc for a phone consult with either the doc or a nurse.
They will be able to ascertain whether what you are describing sounds like it could be more serious or something that you need not worry over. At the very least it can put your mind at ease.
Talk to your doc about whether or not anti-viral meds would be helpful or necessary for your situation.
I can totally relate to your concern. We have a case waiting to be documented just a few cities over, with a couple schools until they hear back from the CDC.
Everything I have been hearing, though, is that the reason there were so many fatalities in Mexico is because so many waited too long to get treatment, as well as generally lower quality health in general. There have been far fewer fatalities in the US. Remember, *big* news sells, so tv, radio and papers are going to make this out to be as big as possible, to increase drama and get people to tune in or read. Bad stuff happening is *great* for ratings! Get any and all health related info from your doctor or pediatrician and you will be much better off. :)
Hope everyone is feeling better soon. :)


What do you think? Answer below! Cold and Flu Basics - Cold and Flu Center - Gocoldflu.info
How to recognize the symptoms of cold and flu, which treatments work best, and advice on staying healthy during cold and flu season

Orignal From: Could the swine flu have symptoms of a common cold... without a fever?

0 comments