Is there any link between cold or flu symptoms and the onset of your menstrual cycle?
For the last 7 months, I have had cold / flu like symptoms for two or three days prior to my period begining. The symptoms disappear a day or two after onset.

Posted by kat20mill
Yes! I had a Biology teacher that told us that your period lowers your immune system and that you usually get sick right before or right at the beginning.

Posted by gosolojacob
I don't know what the scientific data is, but before I got pregnant, I always got a head cold right before my period that went away a day into my period. Once I got the running eyes and nose and was constantly sneezing, I knew my period is just around the corner.
I've only had one period post partum so far, but there were no cold like symptoms.

Posted by luvmykids
I also heaard about the immune system being slightly compromised right before your period. I have noticed that too.

Posted by Loren S
I also have this pattern of getting cold/flu symptoms right before my period. It seems like my immune system just disappears and I catch whatever is out there at the moment. I did some research on line about this and read that during the luteul phase of menstration (that's a week before) the immune system drops. I'd like to hear from a medical professional about this.


Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments! Cold and Flu Basics - Cold and Flu Center - Gocoldflu.info
How to recognize the symptoms of cold and flu, which treatments work best, and advice on staying healthy during cold and flu season

Orignal From: Is there any link between cold or flu symptoms and the onset of your menstrual cycle?

0 comments