What are the cons of getting a healthy child a flu shot?
I have apparently stumped the people in the Infectious Disease room.

Citing a source would be helpful. If you "heard" what you're posting, that's fine to post, but please say so, so I can sort out possibilities from facts.

Posted by parent
The flu shot: The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot. Some minor side effects that could occur are:

Soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
Fever (low grade)
Aches
LAIV (FluMist®): The viruses in the nasal-spray vaccine are weakened and do not cause severe symptoms often associated with influenza illness. (In clinical studies, transmission of vaccine viruses to close contacts has occurred only rarely.)

In children, side effects from LAIV (FluMist®) can include:

runny nose
wheezing
headache
vomiting
muscle aches
fever
In adults, side effects from LAIV (FluMist®) can include

runny nose
headache
sore throat
cough

Posted by ME SO HORNERY is OOQ
The only reason I don't get the flu shot for my kids anymore is because it just makes them sick. After getting it for my oldest, he got all of the symptoms of the flu and was miserable. I don't want to put him through that again.

Posted by Syd XII
I always get mild flu symptoms afterward too for a couple of days. I guess if I really got the flu, it would be way worse, but those couple of days are no picnic.

Posted by desmeran (emeritus)
parent had a good answer.

beyond that, there's the chance they get sick with something else while waiting interminably in line with a gazillion other kids at the flu shot clinic.

my kids and i do get flu shots; never had any reaction at all except a sore arm.

Posted by angelbaby
I always 'hear' that other people get the flu shot and then get the flu. I am lucky enough to not usually get the flu in the first place, so I've never bothered getting the shot. Same goes for my daughter. Healthwise, she's done pretty good, better than most kids, for the past 5 yrs, so I don't see any reason for her to get the flu shot either.


Add your own answer in the comments! Cold and Flu Basics - Cold and Flu Center - Gocoldflu.info
How to recognize the symptoms of cold and flu, which treatments work best, and advice on staying healthy during cold and flu season

Orignal From: What are the cons of getting a healthy child a flu shot?

0 comments