does getting the flu shot actually make you sick?
im 36 weeks pregnant and I didnt want to worry about getting the flu, so my Dr. suggetsed i get a flu shot 3 days later here I am with a cold. My grandpa told me it might actually be the flu shot that got me sick bc the flu shot has a small dose of the flu in it to help your body fight it off....im confused lol can someone explain this...

Posted by Troop28leader
I've heard that as well. I've never gotten the flu shot and haven't experienced the flu worse or more frequently than my friends and family who insist on getting it each year, so I don't bother.

Posted by had2laugh01
yes, the flu shot will give you the flu.

Posted by nremtp4me
Well yes it can make you VERY MILDLY sick for a day or so. As it has a very weak form of the virus in it. This is what allows your body to recognize and destroy the flu virus strain if it encounters it again. If you are pregnant I would recommend you getting the shot, as it would prevent you from getting the full blown flu, and any symptoms you get as a result of the shot would not even be as bad as the "morning sickness" which I am sure you have already had to deal with. Good luck! ;-)
PS. Congrats on the baby on the way!

Posted by talismb
It can, it will most certainly cause the "symptoms" of a cold, but you aren't really sick (symptoms are the results of the body fighting off infection, not the infection itself.) Usually the "cold" is pretty mild, but different people...different results.


Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments! Cold and Flu Basics - Cold and Flu Center - Gocoldflu.info
How to recognize the symptoms of cold and flu, which treatments work best, and advice on staying healthy during cold and flu season

Orignal From: does getting the flu shot actually make you sick?

0 comments